Monday, August 2, 2010

living on a prayer

A good friend recently told me to figure out what I want and pray specifically for it.  I don't usually pray in specifics.  How am I to know what God's plan is for my life.  But if I was to request something specific from the Omniscient, I would consider teaching in Chicago.

This is not something I even imagine myself doing, to be honest.  I am a short, rural town white girl.  The thought of moving to the city, on my own, in a possibly urban setting, scares me to death.  But there is also this part of me that gets so excited that I cannot help but picture myself there.  These are the times I find myself smiling and wondering if God is working in all His irony.  I wonder, not because I have some idealistic view that all my thoughts are preempted by the Creator of the universe, but because I have experienced it before.  I recognize it.  I know it.

So, here I am beginning this journey.  Applying to multiple Chicago schools and Teach for America.  Secretly hoping someone will hire me and discard all those applications at the same time.  Isn't that what faith is all about?  Placing yourself in a position where you have no control, where anything could happen, and sitting back and watching what plays out?  Am I testing God?  Maybe, but I think it is what He intended.

No comments: